Thursday, December 22, 2011

Our Daily Ocean: Day 109

Well... would you believe that we had another warm mid-70's winter day!?!  Last year, I was begging for warmer weather... and here it is Winter Solstice and it feels like spring.  (I am not complaining!!)  Today is officially the half way point to both summer and my birthday... and that makes me happy!!! :)
Before sitting down to write this post, I caught up on reading The Daily Ocean... and seems that as usual Sara and I are on the same wavelength.  After doing so many beach clean ups, what the heck is there to say about the same litter picked up over and over again??  It's difficult sometimes.  Sometimes, I'll come back from the beach with too much to say... then other times... well, the words are lacking.  Tonight,  I asked my friend Tracy, "What do I say??"  She said, "Come on people... pick your shit up!!! :)" That works, though I think I've said that before. (Yup)
Whether we're the ones who made the mess or not... it's so very important that we take the time to pick it up.  Last week, I was reading about the death of a gray whale whose stomach was filled with plastics... everything from duct tape to a Capri Sun.  Soooooo sad :(

"He reached his hand inside the whale and removed a piece of plastic. Then, a length of rope, a golf ball, a plastic bag, a piece of cloth. Another piece of plastic, more cloth. Duct tape. A towel. Electrical tape.Fishing line. More rope. Surgical glove. Plastic funnel. More plastic bags. A huge piece of fabric – it was half a pair of sweatpants. Work around us stopped and everyone gathered, stunned. Over twenty plastic bags in all were removed from the whale’s stomach."  (For a full list of  items and photo of the stomach contents of the whale, click here.) 




Everything we do (or don't do) impacts the world we live in.  It's true.





20 minutes on December 22, 2011 at Access 37
Litter by weight: 1 lb .2 oz
Cigarette butts: 138 


Total amount of cigarettes removed from Wrightsville Beach, NC in 109 days: 
36,749

1 comment:

  1. Despair is only useful as kindling to start the smoke of anger
    which then builds into hot embers of desire for change
    that ignite into illuminating flames
    so the world can see
    the example you set
    each and every day
    one piece,
    one step,
    one word,
    at a time.

    Happy Birthday,
    Bernie

    ReplyDelete