Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Our Daily Ocean Community: Julie

On Saturday, November 20... while we were out of town... my friend Julie and her two young children went to Johnnie Mercer's Pier (Access 16) at Wrightsville Beach. 

Here's what she sent me:

"Yesterday, we went to the beach with the intention of picking up butts for just 20 minutes, but I couldn't get the kids to stop. They wanted to beat our last week's number (339). And it's nearly impossible to stop, because we always see just one or two more butts... Thank you for inspiring us. I never knew just how MANY butts there were, until we started picking them up. It's disheartening and disgusting...We hope that our small effort will help your big one... on that beautiful beach.

Here is our bucket. I didn't realize 'til after I took the photo, the "Thank You" label in the trash. The irony...

Johnnie Mercer's Pier: 436 butts"

I've been adding the amount of butts that my friends pick up off of Wrightsville Beach to the Community Butt Count on the sidebar.  Liz who writes the Litter Sucks blog has been sending me lots of butt counts.  She's been picking up litter and counting the butts she finds on Carolina and Kure Beaches.  On the same day that Julie was at Wrightsville Beach, Liz and a couple of people picked up 1,135 cigarette butts off of Carolina Beach, NC in just 30 minutes!!!  

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world."~Anne Frank

No comments:

Post a Comment