Thursday, December 10, 2009

Not Just for "Baking"

Last week, I was on the phone with my sister-in-law talking about all sorts of stuff and I decided that I should share a little of what we talked about. :)

We were just about to get off the phone, when she asked me a quick question.  A couple of nights before our conversation, she had steamed some corn and before she knew what was happening all of the water had evaporated and the sugars from the corn (that were left behind from the water) had scorched on her stainless steel pot.  For the past couple of days she had soaked the pot, scrubbed, soaked, scrubbed... and no change.  Before she was even finished telling me her story... I knew how to fix the seemingly unfixable.

The fix:  Baking soda.  Add enough water to make a paste and scrub.

Here's one of my skillets before, during and after using baking soda to scrub it :)




 It goes without saying that a fancy stainless steel scrub product isn't needed... a simple (cheap & environmentally friendly) box of baking soda has SO many uses... next time you're at the store (or baking) look at the back of the box and see what product you can replace with baking soda.

By the way, my sister-in-law's pan is good as new!

No comments:

Post a Comment