Friday, December 11, 2009

(Re)Fill 'Er Up

I was just reading an amazing blog that my friend Jennifer had shared with me over the summer.  The blog is mostly about the Pacific Garbage Patch-- it's a big HUGE topic... if you don't know much about it... you should.  But what I saw today, was something so simple and completely fits with starting somewhere small and making a big impact.  Needless to say, I just had to share:


'“Carbon footprint” has been in the dictionary for ten years. But what about other footprints? How many rolls of toilet paper do we use a year? How many jars of mayonnaise? How many light bulbs?  What are these footprints? Recently I came across a really interesting online calculator that figures out how many paper cups you use if you go out for coffee. Click on the photo to try it out.'

















In case you're wondering... I'm not a coffee drinker.  My husband is.  Our kids and I prefer hot chocolate or tea ;).  So whenever we're going somewhere where coffee (and hot chocolate or tea) are in our futures, we grab our reusable coffee thermoses (mugs work, too).  When we order we hand them our cups and forgo the paper (or styrofoam).  If you don't have a reusable cup with you.... decide to stay and enjoy your caffeine of choice and ask for your drink in a mug.


No styrofoam, no paper for your coffee, tea or hot chocolate = less waste (and that's a good thing)  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment