Monday, September 30, 2013

Our Daily Ocean: Day 204

As I'm moving forward with my goal to complete my 365th beach clean up on August 9, 2014... I'm finding myself settling back into my beach cleanup groove.  AND, I'm really enjoying it.  I realize that earlier in the year I truly needed a break... but now... it feels so good to be back.

Sometimes what we see on the surface is only a small fraction of the issue.  Case in point, this seemingly small piece of plastic I picked up at Wrightsville Beach on Monday.  As I pulled, I realized that the majority of the plastic was underneath the sand.... and it turned out to be a bag that once held ice.
Did you know that there is a way around plastic bags of ice?  I mean besides making your own... which if you need to fill a large cooler may take a long time.  There's a company called "Ice House America" that has bulk ice machines.  Take your cooler and fill with ice... no plastic bag to throw away!  Want to see if there's a bulk ice machine near you?  Check out their website here.
20 minutes on September 30, 2013 at Access 29
Litter by weight: 5.4 oz
Cigarette butts: 46
Total amount of cigarette butts removed from Wrightsville Beach, NC in 204 days:
56,083

No comments:

Post a Comment