Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Our Daily Ocean: Day 121

On Tuesday, while I cleaned up Access 16, my kids dug a giant hole in the sand.  During their digging they found what they referred to as a "golden cigarette butt."  *sigh*
I, on the other hand, happened to mistake partly buried bird poo for a cigarette butt.  GAG!  Yes, I was immediately grossed out, but then I thought about the cigarette butts and how toxic they are... and suddenly, I wasn't so grossed out.  Good news: it took me 121 days to mistake a bird turd for a cigarette butt.  Of course, I took a picture...
As you may already know, Wrightsville Beach will be holding a public hearing on March 8 about banning smoking on the beach strand.  On March 3, I'm going to be speaking at an event hosted by UNCW Surfrider in order to help educate about the importance of the proposed smoking ban.  If you'd like to come to the "Leave Only Footprints" event, please check out the Facebook event and RSVP here. (Thanks!)  
20 minutes on February 28, 2012 at Access 16
Cigarette butts: 200
Total amount of cigarette butts removed from Wrightsville Beach, NC in 121 days: 

40,395

2 comments: