Thursday, January 26, 2012

Our Daily Ocean: Day 114

On Tuesday, while waiting for my daughter in the school pick up line... I sent a text to my friend Tracy letting her know that we were going to the beach.  I mean, how could we not go to the beach on a 75˚ day in January?!?  Litter project aside... I just wanted to walk... and I just wanted to sit on the beach and BE there feeling the air and listening to the ocean....
Of course, as much as I just wanted to do nothing but BE there.... I can't BE there without doing my part to help keep Wrightsville Beach beautiful.  So, I took a nice stroll down the beach and took 20 minutes to pick up litter.  During my short walk, I found a wide array of litter that included 30 bottle caps, 11 plastic straws, a balloon, and 181 cigarette butts.  Then I sat down next to my BFF and we talked and talked while our kids ran around having so much fun. Before we knew it the sun was setting.... the perfect ending to a perfect afternoon at the beach.

Dear Wrightsville Beach, we love you.



20 minutes on January 24, 2011 at Access 43

Litter by weight: 1 pound
Cigarette butts: 181

Total amount of cigarettes removed from Wrightsville Beach, NC in 114 days:

38,368

1 comment:

  1. My dogs and I also could not resist the warm weather (about 30 degrees!)- we walked so far the dogs are now a tad bit shorter than they were when we began walking and picking up trash today. :)
    Bernie
    Ck out ICE pics at http://www.litterwithastorytotell.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete