Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Our Daily Ocean: Day 56

On Monday... I took my three kids to the library and to Coastal Cupcakes.  Then I asked them which beach access they would like to go to... in unison they yelled, "The rock!!".  At access 16, there is rock that my kids LOVE to jump off of... you can see them in all their happiness jumping off of it in the FilterForGood Film (which, by the way is now on YouTube!!)....



Having just been to access 16... I decided to do 20 minutes at access 15 and while I did my kids played under the pier.... digging a hole....looking for sand crabs.  So... it was just me... and my two hands.
With this 20 minute clean up... I've hit a milestone.  Surpassing the 16,000 mark.
16,084 to be exact. (...and I'm not stopping anytime soon.) 
I can honestly say that when I started this project... I never (in a million years) would have ever imagined picking up that many cigarette butts.  (who could imagine that?!?)  I'm so extremely grateful to everyone that has shown their support and encouraged me along the way.... and have to give special thanks to everyone that has joined us at Wrightsville Beach to do a 20 minute clean up.  MarkZakLiz, Ryan and Gabby, Tracy with Liam and Emma, Bonnie, Butch, Goffinet, my in-laws, and my mom and sister :)  LOVE and GRATITUDE. 
"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." ~ Margaret Mead
Pay no attention to the numbers on the containers... I used to know how many were in each container... but after filming (some were dumped out to get close up shots of the butts).... I lost track. ;)
20 minutes on April 11, 2011
Litter by weight: 9 oz
Cigarette butts: 115


Total amount of cigarette butts removed from Wrightsville Beach, NC in 56 days:
16,084

3 comments:

  1. Good grief, is that a chewing tobacco can? Bad enough they're dropping butts everywhere, but chaw too?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed it is... we've also found those little "snuff" (??) packets, too. *gag*

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG your kids are hilarious! Here's my idea... outlaw cigarettes! I know, I know, but a girl can dream...

    ReplyDelete