Saturday, February 19, 2011

Our Daily Ocean: Day 45

Every time we do a beach clean up... I post all of the pictures that I take on my Facebook page.  On a photo from Day 42, Sarah N. told me about how Camel makes a cigarette that has a little plastic "flavor" pellet inside the filter. I was immediately intrigued... especially knowing that I had picked up some of the cigarettes that she told me about.  So today... when we got home from Wrightsville Beach and I was counting all of the cigarette butts that we found at Access 19... you can imagine my excitement when I saw this:
I immediately put it to the side and kept counting butts... then when I finished... I opened it up:
And found the little plastic "flavor" pellet that Sarah had told me about...
Insane... right?!?  ...I'm honestly at a loss for words.

20 minutes on February 19, 2011
Litter by weight: 1 lb 2.4 oz
Cigarette butts: 131


 Total amount of cigarette butts picked up off of Wrightsville Beach, NC in 45 days:
14,524

3 comments:

  1. Don't know if you get it in NC, but there's a long-running public-service TV campaign here in Maine called "Tobacco Never Quits." And they're so right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that - tobacco never quits. Brilliant not only that tobacco companies never quit f@*king with people who try it to be cool and can't get off it when it isn't. I think I'll go buy me some Camels and see what that plastic "flavor" bomb looks like before and after its smoked. Thank you Danielle and Sara!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ... if we do get that PSA in NC... I've never seen it... could have something to do with the lack of TV I watch ;)

    Bonnie... I totally bust out laughing... you and Harry both are so right... it never quits. Sarah was telling me that a lot of people don't crush the flavor pellet because they don't like the "flavor"... but they buy that type because they're cheaper. Interesting, right?!?

    I'm thinking that a water test with this type of butt is in order as well!!!

    ReplyDelete