Monday, June 21, 2010

Birthday Giving

Tomorrow--June 22-- I will celebrate my 32nd birthday. :D

I can't remember the last time that I asked for anything for my birthday... while it's certainly nice to receive a gift....I really don't need any presents.

So this year, I thought...

"Why not use my birthday to do something good for the world?"

And I am. I decided to ask my family and friends to do the same and they are now giving to "The Plastic Ocean" for my birthday. YAY!!!

I always say that "there is no better gift than giving"... it makes my heart full and I can feel my **heart growing** with every donation, every volunteered moment, every opportunity that I have to make a difference. (**When I say that I always think about the Grinch and how his heart grew 3 sizes)

The other day, I received a thank you on "The Plastic Ocean" blog for our continued support and then received a message from "The Algalita Foundation" about using my birthday as an opportunity to support the work that they do. Within that message was this video that completely echoes my sentiments about changing the world: "It Starts With Me"



"With so many causes in this world that need our help, it's often daunting choosing where to put our resources and efforts...

I used to be overwhelmed by it all until I asked myself,
'How do *I* make a difference??'
Then it hit me... I realized that it doesn't matter how big the difference is... as long as something is happening... we're moving in the right direction :)"

8 comments:

  1. That's a great gift you asked and gave at the same time.
    Happy birthday!
    stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday! I hope you have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK... this video made me cry. Thanks for a great blog, I just discovered it!

    It helps me to remember this quote by Margaret Mead: Never doubt that a small, group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.

    Yours in Frugal Green-ness,
    Rebecca The Greeniac
    www.GreeniacDigest.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yes... and Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! That video - that was the most inspiring thing I've heard in ages! Thank you for this wonderful post and Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you all SO much!! (Not only for the birthday wishes, but for taking the time to read my blog :) )

    I (because of my loved ones) raised $264 for The Plastic Ocean in one day... and the day isn't over yet!!

    The gifts my family and friends gave to help make this world a better place has made this the best day which I can only describe like this:

    "As in filling a vessel drop by drop, there is at last a drop which makes it run over; so in a series of kindnesses, there is at last one which makes the HEART run over."

    Today, my heart is overflowing :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Danielle for choosing the Plastic Ocean as you birthday wish. We not only thank you for generating donations, but for your wonderfully witty and intelligent blogs that encourage living sustainably.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Belated Birthday! I'm glad your heart was full this day! :)

    Seldom do I go back and reread the blog's comments but I caught yours, Teammate! I guess I need to start!

    GREAT blog, btw, can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete