Thursday, April 22, 2010

Library & Dinner

Today, we met a friend and her son at the library. It's the second week we've been...and before last week, it had been years since I had been to a library... college to be exact. Yes... for the past 10 years, I was a book store junkie. I was a sucker for the book store "experience." About 6 months ago, I decided that I was going to start going to the library... but didn't until now because I was nervous about taking my kids. All I could imagine was the librarian going "sshhhhhhhh" and then getting kicked out. Luckily, that isn't the case. As my son grabs book after book off the shelves and yells, "Mom! Look at this dinosaur book!!"... I never hear a word from the librarian and have been quickly reminded of how great libraries are... I'm amazed and impressed at the abounding variety of (shared) books and media. Last week, we checked out 3 books. Today, we checked out 8 books!! Of course, all free (for 3 weeks!). Libraries ROCK!!

SO... while we were at the library my friend and I were talking about me recipe testing for The Blissful Chef and what I eat... or rather what I don't eat. She asked, "You don't eat meat... what do you eat for dinner??" A valid question. Of course, I explained... but pictures are SO much better:
For dinner tonight, we ate Orange Seitan (yes, like the famed Orange Chicken from the mall!), Vegetable Lo Mein, and Asian Green Bean Stir-Fry (the green beans are a test recipe for The Blissful Chef... which by the way... were so darn yummy!).

Now I can't give you the recipe for the Asian Green Bean Stir-Fry... BUT... I can give you my recipe for Orange Seitan!!

Orange Seitan

1 lb cubed seitan
flour
2 tsp grated fresh ginger
1 tsp minced garlic
1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes (if you like it hot add more)
1 TBSP rice wine vinegar
water, as needed
1 tsp sesame oil
grated orange zest

*Orange Sauce* (mix all ingredients and set aside)
1 1/2 TBSP soy sauce
1 1/2 TBSP orange juice
7 TBSP brown rice syrup or 5 TBSP brown sugar
5TBSP white vinegar (or rice wine vinegar)
1 1/2 tsp cornstarch

Directions:

Heat 1-2 TBSP oil in large skillet. Dust the seitan lightly with flour. Add seitan and cook until nicely browned on all sides. Push seitan to the sides add a drop of oil to center of pan and add ginger, garlic and crushed red pepper flakes. Sauté until fragrant. Add rice wine and stir. Add *Orange Sauce* and bring to a simmer, stirring until well mixed. (Add water if sauce becomes too thick). Stir in sesame oil and add grated orange zest. Serve immediately :)

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing that recipe. It looks like chicken in the picture. I was shocked to find it wasn't. I have to try it out. Wish me luck! I'm not a cook.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LUCK!! :) But it's really easy... I'm not a cook... I'm a girl that likes to cook and knows what tastes good (and what doesn't ;)). My son is an orange chicken fanatic... so when I decided to go vegetarian... I had to figure this out for him... AND I'm so happy I did... mmm.... it's SO good :)

    (If you want to serve it over rice... either double the sauce or 1/2 the amount of meat, so that there's plenty of extra sauce ;) )

    ReplyDelete