Saturday, April 3, 2010

A Day at the Park

A week ago, I took my kids to the park.  We hadn't been to this particular park since last summer and I was pleasantly surprised at how different it was.  First of all, the port-a-potties had been replaced with actual restroom facilities.  YAY!  And, there were several large recycle bins for plastic bottles and aluminum cans.  One problem... as we walked up... I saw the trash can was overflowing with plastic bottles.

The sight immediately made me think about my daughter's field trip a few days earlier when I was throwing away a piece of trash...one of my daughter's teachers said, "Don't look in the trash."  She knows me... she knows that I would have serious issues with what I saw-- plastic bottles in the trash.  I said, "I don't know why it bothers me so much.  Why I just can't let it go."  (I'm constantly apologizing for things like this.  But my daughter's teachers... awesome that they are...told me that I have inspired them... way to make a girl feel good and way to make a girl Rethink apologizing for wanting to make a difference ;).)

Anyway... back to the overflowing trash can at the park.  As we were walking up, there were people leaving... so I walked past the trash can.  I waited for the people to be on their way...and while I waited I picked up some litter.  Here's one of many pieces I picked up around the playground.


Then, once they headed to the parking lot... I made my move.  I grabbed the recycle bin-- that was only a couple of steps away from the trash can-- and pulled it closer and took off the lid.  Then a friend arrived with her kids and my oldest son in tow.  I went to apologize for digging through the trash... but then said, "This is what I do." :)  My friend stood and talked to me as I pulled every bottle and can out of the trash... even found bags of bottles!!  Yes... there were moments when it was all a little gross... especially the can with cigarette ashes all over it. YUCK!

When I was done... by done, I mean... got every bottle/can that I could see...I put the bins back and THOROUGHLY washed my hands. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment