Friday, February 12, 2010

We Make It: Popsicles

Whenever I look at my trash, I'm overwhelmed with the fact that all I throw away are plastic type wrappers and bags that cannot be reused or recycled. In an effort to throw away as little as possible, I'm always trying to think of ways that I can eliminate waste and reduce the amount of trash we send to the landfill.

Like all kids, my kids are crazy about popsicles. Doesn't matter if it's winter or summer... they practically devour a box of popsicles before I can get the groceries put away.  Awhile back, my mom gave me some popsicle molds (double pop and push pop), which I've used sporadically over the past 7 years.  I've mostly used the push-pops molds and made creations such as blueberry cream, vanilla orange yogurt, and chocomole.
A few months ago, I thought about not buying popsicles anymore.  I got to thinking about how I don't buy a lot of things because they're individually wrapped and full of nastiness (e.g Fruit snacks)... so I thought... why am I buying popsicles??

I figure that there is no better time to try something new than during the slow season ;)  So... last month, as the kids finished their last box of popsicles, I told them that we weren't buying popsicles anymore. If they wanted popsicles... we would make popsicles.  Now, they still ask for them at the store... at this point it's still habit.  I just have to remind them and let them know that we can make popsicles when we get home.  Also, we've saved nearly all of our popsicle sticks and run them through the dishwasher to be used in our double pop molds. So they'll still get to read funny jokes on their popsicle sticks such as:

"What did the girl melon say to the boy melon when he asked her to run away with him?"

"We're too young, we canteloup." (Can't elope)

And, of course, the kids are on board.  Popsicles are popsicles, right?  And now, flavors are only limited by their imaginations... I have a feeling I'm gonna need some more popsicle molds come this summer. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment