Friday, July 11, 2014

Our Daily Ocean: Day 250

Before I went to yoga this morning, I decided to do a beach cleanup.  Being a Friday morning in the middle of summer, I imagined the beach being very busy and I started to get nervous.  Having been nearly a month since I was at the beach, the thought of a busy beach and picking up litter amongst groups of people started to make me feel a bit apprehensive and I almost changed my mind!  But, it's time to get back into my comfort-zone and there's only one way back!!! 
So I kicked off my flip flops, grabbed my bag and did my 250th beach cleanup at Access 17!  Oh, right and the beach wasn't busy at all.  But, there was definitely a lot of litter left on the beach.  Here's a list of the top 6 things I picked up this morning:

Cigarette butts: 55
Plastic caps: 15
Straws: 14
Fireworks: 13
Food wrappers: 12
Zip ties: 9



First thing's first, I'm.... getting sidetracked because when I saw this packet of "Fancy Ketchup" that Iggy Azalea song immediately popped into my head.  Well, that and "Seriously? What makes McDonald's ketchup so "fancy"?  It's ketchup. In a single-serving plastic pouch."  I don't get it.   


This cleanup marks the start of me using a new app called One+One.  I've only used it once, but so far so RAD!  I'm officially on the map as the first person on the East Coast to log data and I'm 3rd on the leaderboard!  Want to get the app?  It's free in the iTunes app store


July 11, 2014 at Access 17
Litter by weight: 14.5 oz
Cigarette butts: 55

Total cigarette butts removed: 58,015


No comments:

Post a Comment