Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Our Daily Ocean: Day 230

When I parked my car at Wrightsville Beach, the sky was overcast with a chance of rain.  I didn't pay much attention to the possibility of rain, because I had planned on doing this beach clean up many months ago when I scheduled my kids' science class at Airlie Gardens.  So I hopped out of my car, zipped up my jacket and grabbed my bag... joining the only other people willing to be at the beach with impending rain-- surfers.
There have been many times when I've been at the beach and have had it all to myself... but even then, I can see people in the distance.  Not this day.  The only people I could see were paddling out, watching the waves and surfing the good(ish) ones.
For the first half of my beach cleanup, I walked through a light mist wondering if the surfers could even feel it.  Then with about 8 minutes to go, the mist turned into a sprinkle.  "No problem," I said.  Then the wind picked up.  "Shit."  I had to walk sideways to keep the rain out of my face and in a matter of minutes my jeans were wet and my jacket dripping.  As I went along, I picked up the best I could to finish my beach cleanup.  Then I sprinted to my car and just as I closed my car door the sprinkling turned into a steady rain.  Perfect timing.

20 minutes on January 14, 2014 at Access 36
Litter by weight: 1 oz
Cigarette butts: 8                                 

Total cigarettes removed: 57,627

No comments:

Post a Comment