Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Our Daily Ocean: Day 191

Not long ago, I went to write "I've been so busy."  ...and as those words started out of my head and onto the screen... I hit a mental delete and instead said, "my life is full."  And so goes, why I haven't posted in so long....

My life is full. 
As I spent so much time focused on the Wrightsville Beach smoking ban the past couple of years, it's been good for me to take a bit of time away from the beach this year and focus on other things including reading and gardening. But when I do make it to the beach, I find myself mentally rewinding to previous years beach cleanups.  I am grateful that I was part of helping create change at Wrightsville Beach... because with every beach cleanup I do... it's evident that the smoke-free beach ordinance is working.  

Comparing my 149th beach clean up from July 15, 2012 at Access 36 to July 15, 2013 at Access 36 there's a 69% decrease in cigarette litter post smoking ban! 
There are many things worth celebrating at the beach and yes... the smoke-free beach ordinance is one of them ;)  When celebrating while at the beach (or anywhere for that matter), I'd like to make the suggestion to always celebrate responsibly and with thought and concern for the environment.

Make memories, not trash.
20 minutes on July 15, 2013 at Access 36
Litter by weight: 4.7 oz
Cigarette butts: 41
Total amount of cigarette butts removed from Wrightsville Beach, NC in 191 days:
55,193

No comments:

Post a Comment