Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Our Daily Ocean: Day 182

The temperatures pushed past 80˚ today and as my kids spent their afternoon at Airlie Gardens doing their science class... I made my way to our adopted beach access at Wrightsville Beach.  It's been what seems like forever (January 15) since I've been to Access 36 as I'm usually pretty tight on the amount of time I have... but today I had an abundance of time!
There's some big changes happening at Wrightsville Beach including the rebuilding of the weather-worn Crystal Pier.  Since the pier has been a part of Wrightsville Beach for over 70 years, I'm super happy that the pier is being repaired and rebuilt even though I'm not a fan of the litter that blows off the pier from Oceanic restaurant.  (hoping this year will be different!)

At least one thing will be different this year... and not to get excited too early... but today I had a record low cigarette butt count!!  25 cigarette butts in 20 minutes!  Ok... ok... I know peak season isn't here just yet... but I'm happy nonetheless.  Only time will tell if the smoke-free beach ordinance continually helps to significantly reduce cigarette litter at Wrightsville Beach.  I'm optimistic :)

20 minutes on April 9, 2013 at Access 36
Litter by weight: 1 lb 6 oz
Cigarette butts: 25
Total amount of cigarette butts removed from Wrightsville Beach, NC in 182 days:
54,789

3 comments:

  1. YAY! I think you can be optimistic about the record low count! At the very least, some smokers may have realized the damage they were doing and decided to be more responsible on thier own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The work environment is very good, the sea breeze blowing at the beach is a very good thing!
    www.cusabio.com igg elisa kit

    ReplyDelete
  3. Optimism fills the cup when there is a temporary drought!

    ReplyDelete