Saturday, November 3, 2012

Homemade Ranch Dressing

Ranch dressing.  It's one of those crazy versatile salad dressings... it's pretty much good on everything.  French fries, wraps, sandwiches, crudités... you name it.  As good as it is... store bought versions are lackluster, often chemical tasting and filled with funky ingredients that no one should be eating.  Over the past couple of years, I've been making the majority of my salad dressings and have learned that they are one of the easiest and fastest things to whip up!  So quick and easy!!  AND as usual, homemade tastes SO much better than any version we could ever buy in a store!

After sharing the above photo of my homemade ranch dressing on Instagram with the tagline "Hidden Valley ain't got nothin' on my #homemade ranch"... my friends immediately starting asking for the recipe to my homemade organic ranch dressing! :) So friends... this one's for you!!

Homemade Ranch Dressing*

1/2 cup mayonnaise 
1/4- 1/2 cup milk, whatever you have on hand-- whole, buttermilk, almond, soy
1/2 cup sour cream (or plain yogurt)
1 small shallot minced (if you don't have shallot, substitute 1 TBSP red onion)
1 garlic clove, minced
2 TBSP finely chopped fresh herbs, my preference is cilantro (others: parsley, tarragon, dill, or chives)
1 tsp fresh lemon juice (if you don't have lemon juice, substitute white vinegar)
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp fresh cracked pepper

Put all ingredients into medium size jar and shake until smooth and combined.  Store refrigerated for up to 4 days.

Don't like to chop?  You can alternatively throw all the ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth. If you don't want your ranch to have a green tint, add the fresh herbs after processing.


*All ingredients are organic



1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting! My husband loves ranch dressing and I have yet to try making it...but I really need/want to.

    ReplyDelete