Thursday, September 1, 2011

(Plastic-Free) Sweet Corn Tomalito

In the winter of 2006, pregnant with my third child, we left Wilmington to live by family in St. Louis.  The move didn't really work for us and was (obviously) short lived... we lasted a whopping 13 months before we could finally make our way back to our beautiful coastal community.  While I was super happy to be "home"....not long after moving back to Wilmington, I realized that I missed a few things about St. Louis.  Yes, the thing I missed most was family... but I also missed some random yummy foods.

During our short stay back in the Midwest, we grew very fond of Chevy's.  Ok, really... Chevy's wasn't amazing or anything... BUT... they had a super yummy corn pudding-like side dish.  Every time I would have Mexican, I would think about that corn pudding.  Sooo... I did what anyone these days does.  I googled... and voilà magic ;)











I've been making this yumminess for the past four years... but not until a year ago did I start making it plastic-free!!  Ummm... maybe you remember that I said I was going to share the recipe back on day 1 of Plastic-Free Food week last September?!?  Sorry for being a slacker!!

Sweet Corn Tomalito
Recipe from St. Louis Post Dispatch (circa 1997)

1/2 c organic butter at room temperature
1/2 c Masa (for tamales)
1/2 c + 2TBSP sugar

4 c fresh corn removed from cobs (4-6 ears of corn depending on size), divided
3/4 c water
3/4 c cornmeal
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/4 c milk (I use homemade almond milk to make this plastic-free, but really any kind of milk will work.)

Oven directions: Place roasting pan in the oven.  Fill it with water to a depth of about 1".  Preheat oven to 350˚F.

Using an electric mixer, beat butter, masa and sugar together until light and fluffy.  Spread in a glass dish with 2" sides. (Use a 2 qt round with a lid or an 8" square with aluminum foil.)

Blend 2 cups of the corn and water in a blender until smooth.  Transfer to a bowl (I use the same bowl that I mixed the butter mixture in) and add remaining 2 cups of corn, cornmeal, salt & milk.  Mix well, then spread on top of the butter mixture.

Cover with lid (or tightly with aluminum foil).  Place the dish into the water-bath.  After 15 minutes, stir... then stir again after 45 minutes.  Continue to cook for an additional 15 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center of the tomalito comes out clean.  Keep tightly covered until ready to serve.

To serve, use an ice cream scooop :)

Approximately 16 (ice cream scoop sized) servings.

TIP: If you don't have a roasting pan (or large enough pan to make a water bath)... you can steam this on the stove-top using the double-boiler method :)