Monday, November 18, 2013

Our Daily Ocean: Day 216

With every season, there is something special about the beach.  Of course, summer (my favorite time) means swimming and soaking up the sun.  But when the cool weather comes... I can't help but appreciate a less crowded beach which ultimately means a cleaner beach.  

This is what the beach looked like on November 12, 2013... and yes, I had it all to myself.

Having the beach all to myself on such a beautiful day... was amazing.  The feeling is so special that there's really nothing like it in the world.  The sand stretching as far as I can see and the blue that never ends.... there's healing powers there.  

Have you ever wondered why we're drawn to the ocean? Or why being near water sets our minds at ease?  Dr. Wallace J. Nichols revolutionizes what we think about those questions and reveals the remarkable truth about the benefits of being, in, on, under, or simply near water in his upcoming book Blue Mind (June 2014).  To learn more about Wallace "J" Nichols and Blue Mind, please visit: 


20 minutes on November 12, 2013 at Access 17
Litter by weight: 5.8 oz
Cigarette butts: 51
Total amount of cigarette butts removed from Wrightsville Beach, NC in 216 days:
56,728

1 comment:

  1. Danielle, the cool quiet time is warming to the soul. My last trip to Lake Champlain was a few weeks ago. After biking down the bike path, seeing many other walkers and bikers, I expected folks on the beach. However there were only 2 people on the whole beach. The water was calm and flat as a mirror. Cool - yes (60 degree water temp), however having what felt like the whole lake to myself, viewing my toes down through the crystal clear water, feeling the sensation of rippled soft sand under my feet, and diving in and swimming was exhilarating. To know the beauty of nature is to know we must protect it.

    ReplyDelete