Saturday, August 24, 2013

Our Daily Ocean: Day 198

Summer 2013 can be summed up with one word: Rain.

Sitting in my car at Wrightsville Beach Thursday late afternoon, I was feeling fed up with the rain.  All I wanted to do was to go to the beach and the rain was coming down heavy flecked with thunder and lightning.  I sat waiting patiently while my kids waited not so patiently for about an hour.... but as the saying goes: All good things come to those who wait.

The thunder and lightning finally subsided and we got our evening at the beach.
It was still sprinkling, but it was ok.  There's something kind of magical about being in the ocean and rain drops falling all around you.  Diving under the waves and coming up to little kisses of rain.  Magic.  And we had it all to ourselves.... giving me a perfect opportunity to practice surfing.  I was nervous because last time I went surfing was Winter 2011 (with my friends from Odysea Surf & Kiteboard School), but... I could still stand up!  (I need to get photographic evidence of my being able to surf ;) )
After a good while in the water,  I was ready for a little sand time.  My two youngest decided to join me as I walked Access 39 for 20 minutes.  Here are some notable pieces of litter we found:
PSST! Most stickers on fruit are plastic! 

"Open your eyes now before you get hurt." ~ Tiana, Disney's The Princess and the Frog

Things aren't always what they appear to be.  Looked like a clam, but it was just a beer cap in disguise.
 20 minutes on August 22, 2013 at Access 39
Litter by weight: 1 lb 5.3 oz
Cigarette butts: 64
Total amount of cigarette butts removed from Wrightsville Beach, NC in 198 days:
55,674

2 comments:

  1. I found your blog from Beth Terry's - this is an amazing project you're committing to. In some strange way I'm pleased you're not finding more in your time! And in my short browse, two army men is sweet (sweeter than what i saw on a beach this weekend). Keep up the great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sarah! Thank you! There have been a lot of ups and downs with the project... some days there's a lot to pick up... but lately it hasn't been so bad, which is nice! We don't find too many army men... so when we do, my kids get super excited :)

      Thanks so much for taking the time to hop over from Beth's blog and comment! :)

      Delete