Friday, August 17, 2012

Backyard Benefit Jam for Ocean Cure

After going to a benefit concert back in early 2010, I came home from California excited to get involved with the local non-profit Ocean Cure.  I didn't know it then, but after volunteering with Ocean Cure for Life Rolls On I would find myself connecting and forming friendships over our common bonds-- a love and respect for the ocean.  We've watched over the past 2 years, as Ocean Cure consistently gives back to our community through charity surf camps, community events and beach/waterway cleanups.  Not only do they help people stand up (on surfboards), they also stand up for our environment... and since their work is inexplicably tied to the ocean... they stand up for the health and safety of our oceans, waves and beaches.  So on Saturday, we wanted to give back for all that Ocean Cure does for our community by throwing a Backyard Benefit Jam (aka fundraiser) for Ocean Cure.

We opened our backyard to our awesome community to have fun and raise funds for Ocean Cure to purchase such things as beach wheel chairs, adapted surfboards, and shade tents.  To do this, we had a raffle with prizes from Tidal Creek Co-opGlass DharmaCarolina PaddleboardLandshark SkateboardsSweetwater Surf ShopFreaker USAReCurrentsRe-EcoLa GemmaPrimp SalonbarMark Herbert/Art WastelandBig Strong Girl DesignsTracy Kellogg-Brodeur Photography and Bushwalla.


But like I said, we wanted to have FUN too!  So, we had our backyard set up with a 22' waterslide, a dunk tank and LIVE music by Bushwalla & Todd Carey.



Of course, keeping with my own personal commitments we made sure to create no trash by composting, recycling and using reusables.  One thing that I set out to do with this party was to reuse glass jars that I had saved.  So in lieu of disposable "red SOLO" cups, I cleaned over 100 glass jars to be used for sweet tea, homemade lemonade, beer or wine.  When the fundraiser was over, I ran the jars through my dishwasher and they are currently tucked away in a closet to be used again!



So who exactly is Ocean Cure?  Ocean Cure is a 501c3 non-profit that is dedicated to giving free surf lessons to medically fragile and at risk youth and adults.  They believe in the powerful emotional and physical healing properties of the ocean and surfing. Having been on the sidelines watching their charity surf camps and volunteering for events such as Life Rolls On: They Will Surf Again... I can tell you that Ocean Cure changes lives.
And because we want to contribute to helping them change lives, we set out to have this fundraiser.  It was an event that couldn't have been pulled off by my husband and myself alone.  A community of people came together to help make it happen and we are extremely grateful to the outpouring of support received from our community-- near and far! Thanks to all of the support we received it was a huge success... not only were we able to raise over $1500 for Ocean Cure... we had loads of fun doing it!  Yup, our first fundraiser was a huge success... we're so thankful to be part of such a giving community! 

We can't wait to do it again next year!!
Left to right: Danielle, Kevin (Ocean Cure founder), Chris (Ocean Cure founding member), Todd Carey, my husband, Bushwalla, Brandon & me :)
Special thanks to the following businesses! 

2 comments:

  1. I loved reading about this. I want to come next year! This whole event gave me the best feeline ever. I am just constantly inspired by you and what you do!
    bug huge hug!
    xo
    Sara

    ReplyDelete