Friday, November 25, 2011

Our Daily Ocean: Day 105

Since today was "Buy Nothing Day"... I really had the best of intentions of not buying anything... but, I couldn't help myself from buying this amazingness from the comfort of my own home ;)  Then, while many people were spending their day shopping, my family and I took it easy at one of the most relaxing and fun places we know... umm... yeah, that'd be the beach!!  We turned "Black Friday" into "BLUE Friday"... and I think a new tradition may have been born!
Last week, my family and I were in California... we had such an amazing visit!!  One of the highlights of our trip was seeing our friends Sara & Garen in Monterey Bay!  Our timing to visit the aquarium couldn't have been better as Sara had just spoken at the Monterey Bay Aquarium O.N.E Teen Summit and was getting ready to head back to Santa Monica.  It had been over a year since I last saw Sara & Garen...  they're awesome awesome people... wish that unexpected visits could happen more often! :)  After we visited with our friends, we spent several hours at the Monterey Bay Aquarium.  NOW... We've been to a lot of aquariums, but this visit is one that we'll remember for a long time to come... ever see an albatross in person? (We did.)  Ever have an animal educator ask you to reduce the plastics you use and refuse single-use plastics like bags and straws?? (You can and more at the Monterey Bay Aquarium) 

My son and I picked up 19 straws in 20 minutes today.  Can you guess how they got on the beach?? (See photo for hint)
Also during our California vacation, we had great evening hanging out with Beth Terry (My Plastic-Free Life), her husband, and Manuel Maqueda (co-founder of Plastic Pollution Coalition).  As a family really striving to reduce the amount of plastic we use... it was great to share dinner, straw-free drinks ;) and conversation with others who are striving to do the same (or more) and connect over our common bonds.  One of the many things we talked about is how one of American Idol's sponsors (cough Coca-Cola) isn't happy about a video with Season 10 American Idol contestants asking us to REFUSE single-use plastics.  So in order to appease their sponsor, the company the produces AI threatened to shut down Plastic Pollution Coalition's YouTube Channel if they didn't remove the video.  The video is still up (woot!)... SO... If you haven't watched the video yet, watch it now... then share.  


Are you afraid to REFUSE disposable plastic?  

(if you are, don't be... I'm here to help)

20 minutes on November 25, 2011 at Access 36
Cigarette butts: 96

Total amount of cigarette butts removed from Wrightsville Beach, NC in 105 days: 
35,887

5 comments:

  1. Sounds like a fun trip! I bet Beth was fabulous! I love your blue Friday idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post and so glad that you are connecting with PPC they rock, as do you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Terrific post, and terrific to meet you. Thank you for the mention -and keep up your amazing work. Onward! -Manuel

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your writing and photography were always good but every post gets better and better and better! I love seeing the growth of It Starts With Me! Good work! And I SO wish visits could happen more often. We really enjoyed visiting with you and your family. The timing was serendipitous - am I surprised? Nope! Good to be in synch with you Danielle. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. WHOA... I'm so behind on responding!!

    @GGGG & @naturefinder Thank you!! The trip was a-mazing! Beth is absolutely fabulous... and it was good to connect with PPC. :)

    @Manuel It was SO great to meet you and learn about some of the ways you're reducing your plastic foot-print... I've made the decision that I must make homemade jalepeño potato chips! :)

    @ Sara The timing was absolutely serendipitous. Loved it. I'm so grateful for your friendship and the inspiration you consistently give :) Oh yeah, we have your room for whenever you come to visit ;)

    ReplyDelete