Saturday, September 3, 2011

Our Daily Ocean: Day 94

Last night, my two youngest and I stopped by Lovey's Market & Café to pick up some food for a picnic dinner at the beach with our friends :)  We ended up staying at the beach until it was pitch black and everyone was gone (yes, even all of the surfers)... the only thing we could hear was the crashing of the waves... ahhh.... the perfect music :)



When we first started our 20 minute clean up, I wandered over to Oceanic.  The wrack line was still pretty crazy, so I did quick sweep for straws.  Super happy that I didn't find any that appeared to have blown off of the pier!!  But, I did find this little guy... ok... he's kind of big!  AND... yes, I had to do a double take at first ;)

I don't always mention it, but I have the most awesome interaction with kids on the beach. When they figure out what we're doing they're most often the ones who come to me and say "thank you" or  quickly look around for something they can pick up to contribute to helping clean up the beach.  Kids are awesome like that.  Last night, as I was picking up litter, I heard a faint "Excuse me, what are you picking up?" As I looked up, I saw a little boy with his parents.  I told him that I was picking up trash and with that he said, "Here's some trash" Then he and his (maybe 2 year old) little sister each handed me a cigarette butt.

While I was picking up cigarette butts and bottle caps... my friend Tracy was slowly picking up little balls of styrofoam in the wrack line.  It was tedious (and slightly frustrating) work... one move of the wrack line and the styrofoam blew everywhere... Tracy was committed to getting as much of it as she could... and thinks that it's about time styrofoam was banned!!  I mean really, why are they still making that crap anyway????


20 minutes on September 2, 2011 at Access 36
Litter by weight: 1 lb 13.8 oz
Cigarette butts: 244
Wondering where my "group" photo is??  Well, I put my camera on manual focus to take this photo of Tracy holding this starfish that she found while sifting through all of the styrofoam... forgot to change my settings back, didn't pay any attention and took a blurry "group" photo!! oops!!  (shrug) Starfish are much more beautiful than a pile of trash anyway! ;)

Total amount of cigarette butts removed from Wrightsville Beach, NC in 94 days: 
28,451

No comments:

Post a Comment